Happy new year! I hope you all had a restful and fun filled time over the holidays. I certainly did and despite doing nothing overly extravagant for New Year’s Eve I feel like I’ve got this year off on the right foot.
As one year ends and a new one starts it seems that everyone becomes a little reflective on the things that have happened over the last 12 months. To be honest, I don’t think I can help it, it’s nice to think over all the changes that have happened in your life, both good and bad. That’s the only way we learn from these things, right?
Anyway, reflection and a new year pretty much always result in one thing – resolutions!
Year in, year out, my resolutions usually look something like this list above, only to be broken and tossed to the side after 2 weeks – if I’ve been strict! This year I changed my mind though. I mean, who am I kidding? If I know in my heart of hearts I’m not going to stick to that expensive new gym membership, why start it in the first place? So this year I have decided to write myself some realistic resolutions that I believe I can stick to and, most importantly, that I actually want to.
They may not be resolutions in the strictest sense but more goals I want to achieve this year. Are they the same thing? I’m not entirely sure.
Anyway, here goes…
- Take better care of myself. This means both physically and mentally. I’m going to make a conscious effort to get fit, I’m going to start eating less crap, processed food and I’m going to stop letting other people dictate my life and my mood so much.
- Try roller derby. This is something I’ve admired from the sidelines for some time now and this year I have decided to bite the bullet and give it a go. I may be awful and not even make it through the fresh meat try outs, but I’ll never know if I don’t try.
- Pay more attention to my blog. I really enjoy blogging and I need to make a concerted effort not to push it to the bottom of my to do list. This will also take some organisation and less procrastination from me too!
- Take more photographs. I love photographs and although I’m not the greatest photographer I like to capture moments on film. Yes, that’s right – on film. I have 3 different film cameras and rarely use them. I also want a better digital camera too so I’d best get over that embarrassment of whipping one out of my bag when the mood suits me!
- Learn a new skill. I love learning new things. I haven’t decided what new skill I’d like to learn this year yet, ideally I’d like to pick up a couple but this how I end up with half finished projects everywhere!
- Hone existing skills. As well as learning something new I’d like to get better at the things I already have under my belt. I taught myself to knit last year and definitely need some more practice on that, amongst others.
- Live more. I live in one of the most bustling, exciting cities in the world and yet I spend most of my time in work or at home. I moan that I’m too tired to do things during the week and I love lazy days on the sofa with the OH at the weekend. I’m not saying this is a bad thing but I need to get out and live more. There’s so much just passing me by because I’m too content to just be in my little bubble and this needs to change. Not that I don’t love my little bubble, but it’s nice to get out and check out the outside world once in a while!
So there we have it. Seven things I aim to do this year. Things that will make me enjoy my year more and give me more to look back on next year. Here’s hoping I stick to them!